The Chicago buying guide
Chicago is one of my preferred buying cities (read about my buying adventures in the Chicago Tribune). Located on the shores of the mighty Lake Michigan, Chicago is absolutely our kind of town. part college town, part service town as well as part ethnic enclave, Chicago is full of incredible deals. Chicago fashionistas have long loved the city’s mix of thrift stores as well as ethnically-inspired shops.
Chicago buying Tips
1. pick up a copy of Chicago Magazine. This magazine lists the best sample sales as well as buying events in the Chicago metro area. You can likewise indication up to have the sale as well as buying info sent directly to your e-mail inbox.
2. checked out Ellen Warren’s column in the Chicago Tribune. Ellen is Chicago’s true buying diva as well as has her finger on all the best places to shop in Chicago, which she commonly lists in the most-read regular column in Chicago’s top everyday newspaper.
3. McShane’s Exchange is one of the best consignment shops in THE world (with two locations, 815 W. Armitage Ave. as well as 1141 W. Webster Ave.). I purchased a Henri Beguelin bag for $100 as well as a pair of Chanel pumps, barely worn, for $50 at the Armitage Ave. location. Make sure to check out the second floor, which has heavily reduced prices, most less than $20.
4. Head to Lincoln Park for thrift. right here you’ll discover the best choice of thrift as well as antique stores, including the trendy Plato’s Closet.
5. Goodwill is…GREAT! If you’re a true Thriftnista, then you need to head to the Goodwill store at 1201 W. Washington Blvd. (not far from the Loop). This Goodwill store, which offers a regular shopper’s card, is chock-full of incredible deals, from a white wool Escada jacket for $19.99 to a pair of barely- worn Kate Spade evening pumps for $15.
6. The Magnificent Mile, the buying Mecca of Chicago. This mile-long stretch of North Michigan Avenue houses 460 stores on eight city blocks, including Bloomingdale’s, Neiman Marcus as well as Nordstrom. If you’re from a huge city like new York or Los Angeles, you most likely won’t discover anything different than their outposts in your house city, however the area is worth a stroll.
7. The Art Institute of Chicago. Besides being one of the top art museums in the world, the Art Institute of Chicago likewise has a killer gift shop (actually, there’s two). I like to head to the gift shops AFTER the holidays for major deals on special gifts (I bought my other half a Pantone laptop bag for $20) as well as accessories (I bought three bright blue bracelets made out of recycled flip-flops for $3 apiece).
8. Chicago Premium Outlets. If you’re driving, check out Chicago Premium Outlets in Aurora, a Chicago suburb. It’s well worth the trip if you’re looking for deals on Giorgio Armani, Polo Ralph Lauren, instructor as well as BCBG. Make sure to score a coupon book before heading out to the store.
9. Gurnee Mills is one more excellent outlet; if you haven’t satisfied your outlet craving at Chicago Premium Outlets, then head west to the Gurnee Mills Outlet Mall, which houses over 200 discount stores.
10. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend. If you’re looking for jewelry, check out Chicago’s Jeweler’s Row. This jewelry district is the largest in the Midwest, as well as the diamonds as well as gems offer at unbelievable prices.
11. get shopping center coupon books. 900 North Michigan Shops, Chicago Place, Water Tower location as well as Westfield all have coupon books that offer extra savings for shoppers. North Bridge gives out coupon books for their stores, which you can commonly pick up at the Visitor’s Desk. Some need you to show a hotel space crucial or an out-of-state driver’s license.
More Chicago Info
Chicago’s Convention as well as Tourism Bureau—A one-stop shop for whatever going on in Chi-town.
Chicago Traveler—Provides a whole a great deal of excellent info, including printable maps.
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum—The very first planetarium in the Western Hemisphere.
Navy Pier—Shops, amusements as well as a lot more for the entire family.
Wanna share a buying idea for Chicago? publish it in the comment section below.
Please leave this field emptyGet budget plan Fashionista in your inbox!
Check your inbox or spam folder to verify your subscription.